Benefits of shrub willow production on soil chemical, physical, and biological properties
Influence of Shrub Willow Buffers Strategically Integrated in an Illinois Corn-Soybean Field on Soil Health and Microbial Community Composition
- Zumpf, C., J. Cacho, N. Grasse, J. Quinn, J. Hampton-Marcell, A. Armstrong, P. Campbell, M.C. Negri, and D.K. Lee, 2021, Influence of Shrub Willow Buffers Strategically Integrated in an Illinois Corn-Soybean Field on Soil Health and Microbial Community Composition: Science of the Total Environment, volume 772. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.145674.
- Studied the ecosystem services (ES) from shrub willow buffers in a row crop system.
- Soil health and crop productivity of willow and grain crops were evaluated.
- Landscape position and crop type influenced the soil microbial community present.
- Microbial taxa were highly correlated with soil chemical parameters, especially pH.
- Landscape position influenced the ES provision by willow buffers.
A geospatial tool for decision-making regarding the adoption of perennial bioenergy crops